Llyr on the beat after leaving college

After completing his A-Levels at Ysgol y Preseli, Llyr Edwards was keen to gain a college education before applying to join the police.

He chose to study IT at Coleg Ceredigion as he felt it would equip him with a diverse range of transferable skills when applying to the police.

His college experience enabled him to take part in a wide range of activities outside of his academic studies such as becoming a student ambassador and course representative and taking part in activities such as the Eisteddfod and charity work.

In college, Llyr applied to join the police and after a succession of interviews, he was employed by Heddlu Dyfed Powys at Cardigan station.

Llyr Edwards said; “I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Coleg Ceredigion.

“My tutors Marion Phillips and Glyn Howells were excellent tutors and always ready to help.

“As I had most of my education through the medium of Welsh at school, being able to carry on studying in Welsh was important for me as I felt more confident speaking and learning than in English.

“Luckily for me, Glyn and Marion are fluent Welsh speakers which meant that I could study half the course in Welsh and half in English. Had this not been a possibility I doubt that I would’ve applied for the course.”

Course lecturer Marion Phillips added: “Llyr always was a polite and enthusiastic student.

“During his time with us he won several college prizes including the Bilingual Learner of the Year and IT Student of the Year.

“We are very pleased that he has achieved his goal of becoming a police officer, and it is particularly pleasing to see him serving within the local community, something that I knew was important to him.”

Deiniol