Enable Accessibility Bar

Disclosure Barring Service (DBS).

Why a Disclosure Barring Service is needed 
When you apply for certain types of job or work placements you may be asked to apply for a criminal record check. These are generally jobs that mean you:

  • will be working regularly with children or vulnerable people
  • will be working in an establishment that is wholly or mainly for children
  • will be working in healthcare

What is an Enhanced DBS 
Enhanced DBS check - for those working with children or vulnerable adults in regulated activity This Check replaces the former Criminal Record Bureau Check (CRB)

What you'll find on a criminal record check
Standard DBS checks will contain details of all spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings from the Police National Computer (PNC). The enhanced DBS check will include any information from the PNC and may also search:

  • information held by local police forces
  • lists of people barred from working with children and vulnerable adults which are kept by the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA)

How much does a record check cost?
A check costs:

  • £44 - enhanced DBS check

This will be payable upon Enrolment for all Childcare students and during Induction week for Health and Social Care students
Payment can be made by Cash, Card or Cheque at a Campus office

Providing identity documents for Disclosure Barring Service
You'll need to prove your identity as part of your application. You'll have to provide documents that confirm your:

  • name
  • date of birth
  • current address

Who needs to see your identity documents?
The person who asked you to fill in the form will check your proof of identity, or direct you to someone who can.

What documents to provide
You should provide at least one of the following documents:

  • passport
  • full or provisional driving licence (UK, Isle of Man or Channel Islands) - either photo card or paper (a photo card is only valid if presented with the counterpart licence, except Jersey)
  • birth certificate (UK or Channel Islands) - issued within 12 months of date of birth; full or short form, including those issued by UK authorities overseas, such as embassies, high commissions and HM Forces
  • ID card for foreign nationals
  • EU National ID card
  • HM Forces ID card (UK)
  • firearms licence (UK)
  • adoption certificate (UK or Channel Islands)

If you can't provide any of the documents above, you must provide five from the list below.
You should also provide two of the following:

  • marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • bank or building society statement*
  • credit card statement*
  • P45 or P60 statement**
  • National Insurance card/letter (UK or Channel Islands)
  • NHS card/letter (UK or Channel Islands)
  • insurance certificate**
  • exam certificate, eg GCSE, NVQ, O levels, degree
  • Connexions card; including those cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo (UK or Channel Islands)
  • General Medical Council certificate
  • benefit statement* - eg child allowance, pension
  • document from central/local government, government agency or local authority giving entitlement to benefits* - eg to state benefits, Housing Benefit
  • replacement birth certificate, eg a certificate not issued within 12 months of birth
  • vehicle registration document (document V5 old style and V5C new style only)
  • documentation issued by court services*
  • letter from a head teacher*
  • store card statement*
  • utility bill* - electricity, gas, water, telephone, including mobile phone contract/bill
  • addressed payslip*
  • mail order catalogue statement*
  • financial statement ** - eg pension, endowment, ISA
  • council tax bill for current year (UK or Channel Islands)**
  • court claim form (UK)**
  • TV licence**
  • mortgage statement**
  • work permit or visa (UK)**
  • DBS, Disclosure Scotland and ISA Certificate (UK)**

one of the following documents from the United Kingdom Border Agency (UKBA) (formerly the BIA Borders & Immigration Agency) or the Immigration & Nationality Directorate (IND): Convention Travel Document (CTD) - Blue; Stateless Person’s Document (SPD) - Red; Certificate of Travel (CIT) - Brown; Asylum/Application Registration Card (ARC)

Documents with * should have been issued within 3 months of your application date.
Documents with ** should have been issued within 12 months of your application date.
Documents without * or ** can be more than 12 months old but must still be valid.

How to contact the Disclosure Barring Service
DBS helpline for all general enquiries: 03000 200190
8.00 am to 6.00 pm on weekdays
10.00 am to 5.00 pm on Saturday (closed Sunday and public holidays)

There is a separate number for transgender applicants only. Any general enquiries received on this number cannot be dealt with or transferred. This number also has an answerphone service where you can leave your name and contact number and a member of the team will call you back.

Inspiring Learners

Get in Touch

Park Place
SA43 1AB
01239 612032

Get in Touch

Llanbadarn Fawr
SY23 3BP
01239 612032

Coleg Ceredigion is a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales No. 08725643 and is a registered charity No. 1154557.
The registered office is at Park Place, Cardigan, Ceredigion, SA43 1AB